How can I shift lower back pain?
Lower back pain can be hard to shift, particularly if you are currently pregnant or have recently had a baby.
If this sounds like you, you’ll be wondering how to relieve lower back pain naturally and effectively.
Carry on reading to know more about relieving lower back pain the gentle way.
What can cause lower back pain in a woman?
Lower back pain in pregnancy (1) is a common complaint. It’s no wonder as the weight and size of your expanding abdomen puts a strain on the lower back area. Hormones released during pregnancy also loosen your joints and ligaments connected to your spine, causing pain.
There’s also a link between lower back pain and weight gain. It’s inevitable that you’ll gain weight during pregnancy, or you may be going through non-pregnancy-related weight gain. Whatever the reason, piling on the pounds can put a strain on your lower back.
You may also find your lower back pain links to injury. This could be an injury you sustained in the past due to an accident or repetitive injury over time, such as routinely lifting heavy objects or prolonged sitting.
What’s the solution for lower back pain?
Whether or not you’re pregnant or nursing a baby, most women want to find a natural and effective solution to persistent lower back pain.
Here’s what you can do to ease back pain the natural way:
- Try stretching exercises or yoga to increase the flexibility in your supporting muscles.
- Do other forms of gentle exercise like swimming or walking.
- Use a heat pad on your lower back to relieve pain.
- Go for a prenatal massage by a qualified therapist.
- Try osteopathy, a practice that gently manipulates soft tissues to improve mobility. Research (2) has found that it’s safe for women and effective for lower back pain too.
Remember to consult your health professional before starting a new exercise program.
You should also take care to look after your back when carrying out your daily activities. You can find lots of tips to help you on the Government of Canada website (3).
Osteopathy in Calgary for lower back pain
While lower back pain is common for women both during and outside pregnancy, there are lots of natural ways to relieve it.
If you’d like to try osteopathy for lower back pain, reach out to our friendly team by calling 4038140404 or book an appointment online at osteohealthcalgary.janeapp.com.
We’re here to help you get the better of lower back pain the gentle way!
Approved by Indira Ravaeva. Manual Osteopath. Member of National Manual Osteopathic Society and Osteopathy Australia.
1. babycenter website, January 20, 2021. https://www.babycenter.com/pregnancy/your-body/lower-back-pain-during-pregnancy_9402
2. Hensel K, Buchanan S, Brown S, Rodriguez M, Cruser D. ‘Pregnancy Research on Osteopathic Manipulation Optimizing Treatment Effects: The PROMOTE Study A Randomized Controlled Trial,’ American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2015 Jan; 212(1): 108.e1–108.e9. Published online 2014 Jul 25. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2014.07.043
3. Government of Canada, ‘Protect Your Back! Occupational Health and Safety’. https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/health-safety/reports/back.html