How can osteopathy help in pregnancy?
Pregnancy can be one of the most magical times in a woman’s life. But the changes to your body can also mean that pregnancy brings aches and pains that were never there before.
Is osteopathy safe during pregnancy?
One of your first questions may be, “Is osteopathy safe during pregnancy?” Research shows that yes, it is.
A trial (1) that recruited 400 women in their third trimester of pregnancy found that not only was osteopathic treatment safe for them, but it was also effective in helping their lower back pain and function.
In fact, many women are looking for ways to treat health conditions related to pregnancy that offer an alternative to medication. Osteopathy is one of them.
What pregnancy-related conditions can osteopathy help with?
Now we know that osteopathy is safe for pregnant women, let’s take a look at what kind of conditions it can help.
Your pregnant body is going through significant changes throughout the nine months to make space for and nurture your growing baby.
Weight gain and the increase in the size of your abdomen mean that your posture shifts and extra pressure is put on joints and muscles.
Pregnancy hormones also soften the ligaments, which can mean they are more prone to injury and discomfort.
A pregnancy osteopath can help with:
- Back pain
- Hip pain
- Pelvis pain
- Joint pain
- Sciatica (pain along the sciatic nerve from the lower back and down the leg)
- Issues with posture and alignment
- Mobility issues
What osteopathy techniques are used to treat pregnant women?
Rest assured that a qualified osteopath will use only safe techniques on pregnant women, avoiding pressure on the abdomen.
Examples of techniques include:
- Gentle manipulation to help alignment in preparation for childbirth, aid flexibility and relieve pain
- Craniosacral therapy to help relieve headaches
- Advice on exercise at home
- Advice on lifestyle changes for a healthier and more comfortable pregnancy
The beauty of osteopathy is that it is a holistic therapy, meaning it treats the whole person.
When treating an expectant mother, an osteopath will tackle any specific issues as well as help to maximize your body’s own ability to support a healthy pregnancy.
Want to discover the benefits of osteopathy in pregnancy for yourself?
Now you know that osteopathy is a safe, holistic and natural way to ease some of the health conditions relating to pregnancy.
If you’d like to know more about osteopathy in Calgary for pregnancy, reach out to the Osteo Health team by calling 4038140404 or book online at osteohealthcalgary.janeapp.com
Approved by Indira Ravaeva. Manual Osteopath. Member of National Manual Osteopathic Society and Osteopathy Australia.
1. Hensel K, Buchanan S, Brown S, Rodriguez M, Cruser D. ‘Pregnancy Research on Osteopathic Manipulation Optimizing Treatment Effects: The PROMOTE Study A Randomized Controlled Trial,’ American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2015 Jan; 212(1): 108.e1–108.e9. Published online 2014 Jul 25. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2014.07.043